Friday, February 15, 2008

the mind reels

I was glued to the tv on returning home last night, watching the coverage of the events from my alma mater. I haven't been back to the NIU campus in at least 18 years, but it's amazing the flood of vivid memories that came back just from seeing a few glimpses of the campus broadcast on the news. In my years there, back in the '80s, I couldn't have imagined such a thing happening. maybe those were more innocent times, more likely just my own innocence in those times. what really angers me is that these events continue to occur, with more frequency, & still our elected officials do nothing to strengthen our gun laws. they cluck about the tragedy, & send their prayers out to victims & families, as we all do, but they are in a position to make the necessary changes to prevent future incidents & yet they do nothing.
that's where tragedy lies, also.

No comments: